Lots of couples get engaged during the holidays and we know everyone wants that moment to be as magical and memorable as possible. What better place to get engaged than Charleston – one of the country’s most beautiful cities and a highly sought-after destination wedding locale.
You worry about the ring, the speech and getting down on one knee. We have the location covered. Here are five over-the-top romantic spots in Charleston to ask that all-important question: “Will you marry me?”
- Under the stars on the Charleston harbor: Book a Moonlight Sail aboard the Schooner Pride, an 84-foot tall ship modeled after the 18th-century coastal trading schooners once prevalent in the Charleston harbor. Pack a picnic for dinner and let the moonlight set the romantic mood.
- In the garden: It’s tough to beat a quiet path under oaks and magnolias at Magnolia Plantation and Garden (pictured) as a place to pop the question. Magnolia is one of the last large-scale Romantic Gardens in the United States. With roots in the European industrial revolution, the gardens were created to help the “common man” forget his dreary life. The gardens were created to evoke emotion and appeal to the soul.
- On the roof: With breath-taking views of the Charleston harbor, Waterfront Park, the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge and more, The Rooftop at The Vendue hotel is the perfect spot for a “She said yes!” selfie.
- At the sea: You can’t go wrong with a romantic walk on the beach as the sun sets over the ocean. Try Sullivan’s Island or walk Folly Beach for a backdrop that includes the Morris Island Lighthouse. Don’t forget to pick up a seashell to remember the occasion.
- Over dinner: Charleston has no shortage of romantic restaurants where a candlelight dinner and a glass of champagne set the mood. We suggest Circa 1886 on the grounds of the equally romantic Wentworth Mansion for an intimate setting and incredible menu. Charleston Grill at Belmond Charleston Place is an excellent choice for sheer elegance plus the nightly jazz music is an added bonus.