- America’s oldest preserved city is one of America’s newest too. Our stunning new bridge, our spectacular new performance arts center, our updated airport, our counterculture Shepard Fairey murals (pictured above) — hey, we even have a new mayor for the first time in 40 years.
- We have a women’s roller derby team. Yes, genteel Charleston is home to the Lowcountry High Rollers – and they are not fooling around. Feast on their high-decibel, sharp-elbow action.
- Ice, ice baby! The Carolina Ice Palace in North Charleston is the practice home of the South Carolina Stingrays hockey team, but it’s open for public skating year-round. Yeah, in sunny South Carolina.
- We’re a poetry hotspot. We have Monday Night Poetry Night, Holy City Poetry Slams, the state’s Poet Laureate and a local poets’ society. And we don’t even know it!
- We’re not from here! For a city in the deep South reverent of its ancestors, an awful lot of Charlestonian area residents grew up elsewhere. Think Bill Murray, Kevin Harvick, Reese Witherspoon and George Clooney. We may have been born in the Northeast and Midwest, but we got here as fast as we could.