Here in the Charleston area, the kids are headed back to school and our minds are turning to fall, one of our favorite seasons in the Holy City. The weather cools and outside activities kick into high gear. To get you thinking about all that’s wonderful about Charleston, here are our five favorite things about this season.
- Are you ready for some football? High school, college and pro football are equally important here in the South. If you’re visiting, you’ll notice people are pretty passionate about either the Clemson University Tigers or University of South Carolina Gamecocks. You’ll want to go ahead and pick a side and then be prepared for trash talk.
- A return to the great outdoors. During the summer months, you’ll find locals either inside or at the beach. But as fall nears, the humidity drops and we get back outside. You’ll find any number of festivals, fairs, sporting events, concerts and markets to fill your time in Charleston. (Check out CharlestonCVB.com for event ideas.)
- Fall flavors on the table. Dine at any one of the amazing restaurants in downtown Charleston and the surrounding areas for tasty fall menus and a glass of locally brewed craft beer. It’s a tough combination to beat.
- Fall beach visits. One of the great things about Charleston is the mild climate, which means visitors can enjoy a trip to one of the area beaches just about any time of the year. The water is still warm in the fall and the beaches are a little less crowded outside the summer season so plan to watch the sunrise over the ocean with your morning coffee or take a romantic sunset stroll.
- Arts season takes the stage. Fall ushers in the beginning of several art seasons from dance and theater to music and gallery showings. Check out the annual OPEN Arts Expo on Sept. 21 to find out all about the arts in Charleston and the must-see performances.
Now what do you love about visiting Charleston in the fall?