Nothing says “fall” quite like a seasonal craft beer enjoyed with a touch of an autumn breeze. Join Charleston Harbor Tours as it ushers in fall during one of its Craft Beer Cruises on the Carolina Queen. Upcoming cruises are Aug. 29, Sept. 26 and Oct. 24.
Sample beers from Holy City Brewing, Founders Brewing Co., Brooklyn Brewery, Oskar Blues Brewery and Terrapin Beer Co. plus enjoy the Southern rock tunes of Weigh Station.
Get to know a little more about the breweries featured on the Craft Beer Cruises:
- Since Holy City Brewing came on the scene in 2011, it’s become a local favorite. The year-round brews are classics: a hoppy German pilsner and a porter that remains refreshing in the warm weather. Seasonal beers include everything from IPA, to stout, to Belgian Strong Pale Ale, to bacon porter.
- Based in Grand Rapids, Mich., Founders Brewing Co. is a group of passionate beer enthusiasts with a simple philosophy: “We don’t brew beer for the masses. Instead, our beers are crafted for a chosen few, a small cadre of renegades and rebels who enjoy a beer that pushes the limits of what is commonly accepted as taste. In short, we make beer for people like us.” Founders has four new beers coming out this fall, including an oatmeal stout brewed with coffee and chocolates and an imperial black IPA.
- In 1984, Associated Press correspondent Steve Hindy returned to Brooklyn after a six-year stint in the Middle East. While overseas, Hindy caught the homebreweing bug from diplomats stationed in Islamic countries where alcoholic beverages were not allowed. Hindy quit his job and founded The Brooklyn Brewery in 1988 with his neighbor, Tom Potter. Their flagship brew, Brooklyn Lager, remains one of the country’s highest regarded beers.
- Oskar Blues Brewery out of Colorado has the distinction of being America’s first canned craft beer. Its brews include Dale’s Pale Ale, Old Chub Scotch Ale, Mama’s Little Yella Pils, G’Knight Imperial Red Ale, GUBNA Imperial IPA, Ten FIDY Imperial Stout and Deviant Dale’s IPA.
- Terrapin Beer Co. is creating some cutting-edge brews in Athens, Ga. Its products include Wake-n-Bake, Hopsecutioner and the award-winning Terrapin Rye. This fall, look for the return of Pumpkinfest with its blend of pumpkin pie, spices and a strong malt backbone and low hop bitterness.
Tickets are $20 each and cruises depart from the City Marina, 17 Lockwood Drive in downtown Charleston. Book online or call 888-224-5037.